Friday, February 19, 2010

Mother's Love Feeding Center

It's about time that I did a blog post on my host mom's feeding center. My family lives close to Kibera, one of the largest slums in the world, and my host mom runs a feeding center for orphans who are from Kibera called Mother's Love.

Every Saturday, my host mom and other adults from the area chaperone the kids, feed the kids and help lead them in singing.

When I showed up the first week, I walked in through the gate to see a dusty little soccer field with kids running around. Within a few seconds I heard the first "MZUNGU!!" shout from one of the kids, which caused the rest of them to run over to the fence.

After going inside, I don't think I had a free hand unless I was playing soccer until I left. The kids repeatedly wanted to hold my hand, play soccer with me or try to talk with me. They are absolutely amazing.

Basically how the day works is that the kids show up and play for a while until the food comes. After lunch the kids have a bit more time to play before they group up and sing and recite Bible verses. After that time, they play group games like duck-duck-goose.

I feel amazingly blessed to be a part of these kids lives. They show me the beautiful simplicity of laughter. They basically have nothing and still find joy in the basics of life. They repeatedly bring a smile to my face.

While I'm blessed to have them in my life, I also feel called to encourage you to potentially get involved with my host mom's ministry through support. I don't want to pressure you into giving anything, but ask that you just sit back and pray about it and see if God is calling you to give. Please let me know if you're at all interested, and I will give you the contact information to my host mom. Something as simplistic as the soccer ball I bought for them last week makes a difference.

I hope you're all doing well and have a great weekend. And remember how difficult times may be, there's always some beauty in the life around us.

5 comments:

  1. "like." there wasn't a button here for that so i just had to write-it :) keep loving those precious little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love - and how can I get involved?

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lance you are so fortunate that the children want to hold your hands, that is so important for children being o.k. to touch with out being rebuffed. Where can we go to find a place to help Mother's love?
    Love You,
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never cease to amaze me Lance Janssen.

    Keep spreading the love :)

    -Bri

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey ya big mzungu, how best to help?

    ReplyDelete