Monday, March 15, 2010

My Internship

Today I started my internship, meaning I'm over halfway done for the semester. I am working for a film group in Kibera called Filamu Juani that teaches youth how to use film equipment to tell their story and gain skills to get out of the slum. I actually met the head of the program, Ken, last year when he worked in Madison.

When I met with Ken to set up my internship here in Nairobi, I told him that in the journalism school I specialize in strategic communications. He was excited about this as he said he wanted some advertising and strat comm work done with his program. I was really excited to get started and do advertising work for businesses and individuals based out of Kibera. I was excited to do something that is entirely new, and would look really good on an application.

This morning, however, added a large unexpected twist to the equation. I found out from Ken as we were walking from the bus stage that I was going to lead a class on advertising today!! So we got there and I basically made up an hour and a half long lecture on the basics of advertising and strategic communications! I was more than mildly overwhelmed! Luckily, I've coached before and have handled kids, so the class actually went ok.

After class, Ken and I went to get some advertisements for the kids to see as examples, and I learned over the course of the day that I basically will be leading and teaching these kids over the next six weeks. So I guess we will be working on advertising projects while I teach them the basics of advertising. I'm not entirely sure how this will go as I don't have too much experience with strategic communication myself...

I have talked to one of my former journalism TAs who is working here in Nairobi and have e-mailed a couple of my former journalism professors asking for some help. So we'll see where this goes. I'm excited about working with the kids and to do advertising in a slum, both of which are unique and amazing experiences. However, this whole teaching thing will be interesting and a way to push me for sure. Let's just say it's another growing experience in Kenya.

No comments:

Post a Comment